60 Recipes for 60 Years : Chat Host Jenna’s Mauritian Flan
Hey hey, it’s Friday! And Fridays = yummy recipes, so here’s our latest tasty treat.
Today’s offering comes from Jenna, one of our lovely chat hosts, who enjoys nothing more than bringing the fun in our bingo rooms. Except perhaps flan.
Which is why she’s bringing you this delicious flan recipe from the beautiful sun-kissed island of Mauritius.
Jenna says “I learned this recipe from my Grandma. It’s a really simple recipe that tastes amazing. If you love caramel, this is for you. You can easily adapt the serving size as long as you stick to the ratio of 1:2:2 eggs, sugar, powdered milk.”
Chat Host Jenna’s Mauritian FlanCourse: DessertCuisine: InternationalDifficulty: Easy
6 tbsp Milk powder
6 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp Vanilla essence
1.5 cups of water
2 tbsp of granulated sugar (for caramel)
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl using a hand whisk.
- Mix the milk powder with water and vanilla essence.
- Add the eggs into the milk mixture.
- Prepare caramel by adding the sugar in a heat pan. Keep stirring until brown in colour.
- Pour the caramel in a steel bowl with lid and let it cool.
- Add the flan mixture into the steel bowl and cover with the lid
- Place in pressure cooker or in a steamer with water level half the height of the steel bowl.
- Let it steam for 30 mins. Then let it cool.
- Place in refrigerator for 1 hour and then serve.
Enjoy the weekend with this top tropical dessert!