Scott’s Mauritian Rougaille & Lentil Soup – Traditional Style!
What is a Friday like at Mecca Bingo? Apart from some of us going feisty with the drinks and catching up on shows we missed the whole week; Friday means another recipe to try! Today, we bring you a recipe straight from the tropics, perfect for any summer meal. Don’t go by the confusing name; the rougaille is an incredibly versatile dish, which you can customize in your own way. Serve it with some lentil soup and you’ll bring the rustic and tropical feel of the island right to your table!
Scott’s Mauritian Rougaille & Lentil Soup – Traditional Style!Course: SidesCuisine: MauritianDifficulty: Easy
• One large red onion
• 6 medium tomatoes
• Few strands of thyme
• 2 green chilies
• Loads of spring onions
• 1 ingredient of your choice for example, mushroom, chicken, sausages, salted fish.
• Olive oil
For The Lentil Soup
• 1 cup black beluga lentils
• 1 large onion
• 3 garlic cloves
• 2 medium tomatoes
• ½ tbs cumin
• ½ tbs turmeric
• Few curry leaves.
• ½ tbs chilli powder
• Coriander for garnish
- Dice your onions, garlic, tomatoes. Wash your lentils and set aside.
- In a pressure cooker, add 2 tbsp of oil and add the cumin, and curry leaves. Once you get the aroma, add the garlic and onions and let them soften a bit.
- Follow by adding the tomatoes and cook until half cooked.
- Add in the lentils, along with 2 cups of water. Add in the spices and salt to taste.
- Lock the pressure cooker over medium heat and cook for 4 whistles.
- Garnish with coriander and serve!
Ready to try out this simple and easy dish? Don’t forget to tell your friends where you found the recipe!