It’s World Nutella Day on 5 February and we’re gearing up to celebrate with delicious Nutella recipes and food-inspired titles from our premium selection of online bingo games and slots!
If you’re one of the few people who’s never heard of Nutella, we’re happy to introduce you to the star of chocolate-hazelnut spreads, which has an Italian stamp issued in its honour and is enjoyed by millions around the world – 400,000 tonnes are produced each year.
In a small bakery in Alba (an Italian town that produces an abundance of hazelnuts), Pietro Ferrero first sold a 660 lb block of chocolate spread and hazelnut paste called gianduja in 1946. Five years later, he invented a creamier version which was sold until 1963 when the recipe was modified and the Supercrema Gianduja was renamed Nutella. It was an instant success with lovers of chocolatey, nutty goodness and its popularity soon spread around the world.
In the UK, we not only love to play bingo, but we’re also particularly sweet on Nutella spread, so we’ve gathered our favourite recipes for you to make and enjoy while playing online slots and bingo games with deliciously yummy themes. Let’s get started!
World Nutella Day recipes
World Nutella Day was the brainchild of Nutella fan and blogger Sara Rosso and was first observed in 2007. Ever since, Ferrero, the makers of Nutella, choose a Nutella lover to lead the celebration and on 5 February, devotees post recipes, messages and pictures that tell the story of their love for the popular spread. Why not try one of our featured recipes and get into the spirit of the day?
Nutella cake with Bailey’s cream
If you’re planning to have a few friends around for a bit of bingo, this delicious sunken cake is the perfect accompaniment.
175g butter diced, and you’ll need a bit extra for greasing
cocoa and icing sugar for dusting
150g dark chocolate
150g light muscovado sugar
125g ground hazelnuts
25g chopped hazelnuts
6 eggs, separated
300ml double cream
4 tbsp Baileys liquor
1 tbsp icing sugar
¼ tsp sea salt
- Turn on the oven to 180℃/fan 160℃/gas 4. Using a 22-23cm springform cake tin, butter then lightly dust the bottom and sides with cocoa, tapping off the excess. Melt in a saucepan over a low heat, the sugar, butter, chocolate and Nutella, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly (so that the eggs don’t cook and curdle) before stirring in the egg yolks one at a time, then the ground hazelnuts.
- Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks and carefully combine a third of the whites with the chocolate mixture to loosen it. Now, very gently, fold in the remaining whites with a large metal spoon or spatula.
- Pour the mixture gently into the tin, sprinkle with the chopped hazelnuts and bake for 30-35 minutes. The top of the cake should feel crisp but not quite set all the way through.
- Remove the cake from the tin, allow it to cool completely, then dust with a little cocoa and icing sugar. Place the double cream, Baileys, icing sugar and salt in a bowl and whisk until it’s just thick enough to hold its shape. Serve the cake with the sauce.
Banana and Nutella muffins
Here’s the perfect snack that’s easy to nibble while playing on your favourite Mecca Bingo site! These muffins freeze well, so you’ll always have a sweet treat at hand, and we know that bananas and chocolate are a match made in heaven.
425g ripe, peeled bananas
100g castor sugar
1 medium egg, beaten
100g dark or milk chocolate, roughly chopped
75g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
275g flour, self-raising
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Turn on the oven to 180℃/fan 160℃/gas 4. Place muffin cases into a 12-hole muffin tin. Mash the bananas in a large bowl then stir in milk, sugar and egg, followed by the chocolate and cooled butter. Combine well.
- Sift in the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt, and fold in with a large metal spoon.
- Half-fill the cases with your mixture and add 1 tbsp of Nutella to each. Top with the remaining mixture and bake for 30 minutes until they’re fluffy and golden. Remove from the tin and cool to room temperature before storing.
Molten chocolate mug cake
You don’t have to have time on your hands or be a whizz in the kitchen to whip up this beauty. All you need is five minutes to toss some ingredients into a mug and pop the lot in the microwave. This creation, that’s like a cake and pud in one, is not only a speedy Nutella indulgence, it’s also gluten-free. Let’s get baking!
1 tbsp Nutella
1/4 cup macadamia meal
(or any other nut flour you have to hand)
2 tbsp Dutch cocoa powder
2 tbsp castor sugar
1 1/2 tbsp room-temperature coconut oil
1 tbsp milk
icing sugar for dusting
vanilla ice cream to serve
- Mix the macadamia meal, cocoa powder and sugar in a bowl. Add the coconut oil, egg and milk to your dry mixture and stir until smooth. Place three quarters of the mixture into a microwave-safe mug that can hold at least 310ml. Now spoon the Nutella into the centre and cover with the remaining cake mixture.
- Pop into the microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Give the cake a few minutes to cool down, then sprinkle with icing sugar and top with a liberal dollop of vanilla ice cream.
Games to go with your Nutella treats
Now that you have your sweet treats sorted out, you’ll want to double the pleasure with a cracking game or two. This selection is bound to satisfy your sugar cravings.
- Chocolate Cashpots – A slot packed full of scrumptious chocolate eggs, 10 paylines and egg-cellent cash prizes!
- 99 Time – Who doesn’t love visiting the ice-cream van on the promenade, no matter how old you are? Choose your favourite flavour, cones and toppings to reveal bonuses behind the sweet treats.
- Slingo Sweet Bonanza – If you’re lucky enough to land 10 slingos and get a full house, you’re in for an explosive treat.
- Sweet Bonanza – The perfect game for slot fans with a sweet tooth, this game is packed with juicy, lip-smacking free spins and multipliers.
- Sweet Success Megaways – With cascading bonus wins, sugary spins and the fan-favourite Megaways mechanic, no doubt about it, this one’s a sugar rush!
- Rich Treats – Filled with ooey-gooey desserts, features galore and plenty of opportunities to try to get your hands on mouth-watering wins.
- Donuts – A low-calorie slot that gives you 2,401 ways to win, vibrant graphics and plenty of sweet bonus features.
Life’s always a treat at Mecca Bingo
Inspired to try out one of our featured recipes to munch on while playing the games of your choice? As the best UK bingo site, we’re the home of the best games, the most fun, and the biggest wins, whether your bag is bingo, Slingo, slots or online scratchcards, you’ll find it all on our site. Join us and get a taste of the sweet life!