60 Recipes for 60 Years : Jon’s Doner Kebab (better than the take away)
It’s a new week, meaning you’ve got a new delectable recipe to knock up at home.
This week, Jon from our blog team tells us how to make the perfect Doner Kebab that’s better than any take away. We have a sneaky feeling it’ll taste as good as it looks!
As far as his recipe goes, Jon says “I’ve been making this for years and constantly tweaking it. Now, it’s at a point where I would put it up against anything you get from your local kebab shop and what’s even better, you know exactly what’s in it”
Jon’s Doner KebabCourse: MainCuisine: TurkishDifficulty: Easy
500g lamb mince (can use beef)
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp mixed herbs
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chilli powder (more if you like spicy)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tablespoon veg oil
- Throw all ingredients in a mixing bowl
- Using your hands, ‘smush’ the ingredients together for 5-10 mins until you have a paste like consistency
- Form the mixture into a big fat sausage and slap it to ensure no air bubbles are inside and mixture is compact.
- Wrap in tinfoil and twist the ends to create a tight seal
- Poke 2 tiny holes in bottom of tinfoil
- Place your wrapped kebab in slow cooker on top of two tinfoil balls (or 2 halves of onion) and cook on high for 3 hours and low for 3 hours
- Unwrap kebab and slice very thinly into slices (you can use a potato peeler or sharp knife)
- Serve in pitta with salad and the obligatory chilli sauce
- If you don’t have a slow cooker, simply bake in oven at 180C for 40-45 mins