The Fakeaway Series: Chicken Gyros
Friday means the weekend and the weekend usually means ordering a takeaway for dinner. But what if we told you there was another (healthier and cheaper) way? For the next few weeks, our 60 Recipes for 60 Years will be a little different, as each recipe will be a Fakeaway (also known as a fake takeaway) so that you can create homemade versions of your favourite takeaway dishes.
We thought we’d kick off the series with the king of all takeaways: the almighty kebab. Of course, this healthier version gets the much more authentic name Chicken Gyros and it’s full of healthy salad, lean meat and protein-packed yoghurt. We promise it’s just as delicious as the version you’ll pick up on your way home – but you won’t wake up feeling full of regret.
Chicken GyrosCourse: DinnerDifficulty: Medium
For the Chicken
• 700g chicken breast
• Extra virgin olive oil
For the marinade
• 100g reduced fat Greek yogurt
• Juice of 1 large lemon
• 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• Salt, pinch to taste
• Black pepper, pinch to taste
• 1 tbsp oregano
• 1 tsp sweet paprika
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• 1 tsp ground coriander
Extras (pick and choose)
• Pita bread
• 1 large Tomato, sliced
• 1 cucumber, sliced
• 1 green pepper, cored and sliced
• 1 small red onion, sliced into half moons
• Kalamata olives
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the marinade ingredients and mix well. Add the chicken breast and mix to make sure chicken is well coated with the marinade then cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes (or you can refrigerate overnight the night before).
- Heat 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil in a non-stick pan over medium-high for 2 mins then add chicken to the pan after shaking off any excess marinade.
- Cook on each side until the chicken is browned (around 5 minutes each side should do the trick)
- Warm up some pita or flatbreads for 20 seconds in the microwave.
- Spread Tztaziki on them, add the chicken and top with tomato, lettuce, cucumber, green pepper, red onion and olives as you prefer.
- Wrap it all up and enjoy!
This is the first in a brand new series of Fakeaway Recipes, so keep tuned in the coming weeks for even more delicious and homemade versions of your favourite takeaways!