Your Guide to Playing 80-ball Bingo
80-ball bingo is an immensely popular version of bingo played with, you guessed it, 80 numbers. It’s a fast-paced version of bingo, played online and in bingo halls across the country, that offers more ways to win than traditional 90-ball bingo.
Learn how to play 80-ball bingo right here with our simple 80-ball bingo guide, covering the rules of 80-ball bingo, how to win with 80-ball bingo, and strategies and tips to help you out. Then head over to our bingo lobby to play 80-ball bingo online for real money with Mecca Bingo.
The History of 80-ball Bingo
We don’t know exactly where and when 80-ball bingo was first played, but we do know it was invented in a bingo hall in the UK (no one else does bingo like the British!).
80-ball bingo was designed to be a faster way to play bingo, and one with multiple ways to win. Since its invention, 80-ball bingo has grown in popularity and is now a common way to play bingo and an exciting alternative to 75-ball and 90-ball bingo.
How to Play The Game
If you’ve played any other version of bingo, you’ll quickly be at home with 80-ball bingo, although the game does have a few differences from 75-ball and 90-ball bingo, like the tickets and some of the ways you win. You’ll find everything you need to know to play right here in our bingo guide.
80-ball bingo is played on a unique bingo ticket with a 4×4 grid, with a total of 16 numbers, with no blank spaces on the ticket.
The 80 numbers used are divided into 4 groups of 20:
- 1 to 20
- 21 to 40
- 41 to 60
- 61 to 80
Each of these four groups is given a colour – red for numbers 1 to 20, yellow for numbers 21 to 40, blue for numbers 41 to 60 and silver for numbers 61 to 80.
In bingo halls, both the number and the colour are called as a ball is drawn, as the colours help speed the game up by letting players quickly identify and mark down the numbers on their tickets. When playing online, of course, the numbers will be marked on your ticket automatically.
Rules of 80-ball Bingo
80-ball bingo is played in a similar fashion to other versions of bingo, so if you’re an experienced player of 75-ball bingo and 90-ball bingo, you’ll quickly feel at home.
Whether you’re playing at a bingo hall or online, numbers from 1 to 80 will be drawn at random. You’ll mark them down on your ticket if you’re playing in person, or they’ll be marked automatically if you’re playing online.
Each 80-ball bingo ticket has 16 numbers, divided into a 4 by 4 grid. A strip is a group of 5 tickets together, with 80 numbers in total, with every possible number from 1 to 80 appearing on the full strip.
One way to win in 80-ball bingo is to form lines of completed numbers across a single bingo ticket, either vertically, horizontally or diagonally. Another is to mark off numbers in all four corners. You can also win by making specific patterns of numbers or by completing every number on the card for a “full house” (remember to shout “house!” as you win).
How to Win 80-ball Bingo
As with other variants of bingo, you win in 80-ball bingo by marking off numbers on your bingo ticket in specific patterns as the numbers are called out.
In 80-ball bingo, there are multiple patterns you can complete on a bingo card to win:
- Line wins – you win by completing a horizontal, vertical or diagonal line across your ticket. You’ll win even more if you complete two or three lines on the same ticket.
- Four corners – you win by marking off the numbers in each of the four corners of your ticket.
- Pattern wins – you win by marking off specific patterns of squares on your ticket, like you may have seen with 75-ball bingo. You’ll be told which patterns you need to mark off to win before a game begins.
- A full house – you win by marking off all 16 numbers on your bingo ticket.
Payouts and Jackpots
You’ll find exciting free-to-play bingo games at Mecca Bingo, but there’s nothing quite as thrilling as playing 80-ball bingo for real money.
To play bingo online for cold hard cash, head over to one of our 80-ball bingo Cashline Bingo rooms, open from 9am to midnight, every day.
With Cashline Bingo, you’ll play fast-paced bingo for real money, with two jackpots to win:
- The Cash Attack jackpot – a progressive pot with a minimum win of £50. Call “full house” in 33 to 36 ball calls to take home the full jackpot!
- The Elevator – a second progressive pot with an impressive minimum win of £2,500! To pocket the full amount, call “full house” in 32 ball calls or less. The Elevator is a community jackpot with 50% going to the winner and the remaining 50% going to players in the room with tickets still in play.
As you’re playing online, we’ll mark the numbers on your ticket for you, and we’ll notify you and the other players when you win.
80-ball Bingo Game Ticket
Bingo tickets are a key part of the game, and 80-ball bingo has its own unique style of ticket.
Each ticket is divided into 16 squares of numbers, in a 4 by 4 grid, with 4 rows and 4 columns. Unlike some other bingo tickets, there are no blank squares on a ticket. Just as the 80 numbers are divided into 4 groups of 20, with each group having a different colour, the 80-ball bingo card is also divided into 4 coloured segments too.
The first column of the ticket is red, the second yellow, the third blue and the fourth silver. The first column will contain four numbers from 1 to 20, the second column four numbers from 21 to 40, the third will have four numbers from 41 to 60, the last column four numbers from 61 to 80.
- Red column – 4 numbers from 1 to 20
- Yellow column – 4 numbers from 21 to 40
- Blue column – 4 numbers from 41 to 60
- Silver column – 4 numbers from 61 to 80
About Strategy and Tips
Just as with any game of bingo, there are some strategies and tips you can use to improve your odds of winning with 80-ball bingo.
- Pick a quiet bingo room – try to find rooms with fewer players, as less competition means you’re more likely to pocket more winnings.
- Play at quiet times – playing at quieter times of the day, or quieter days of the week, can help you find more rooms with fewer players.
- Play with multiple tickets – the more bingo tickets you have for a game, the better your chances you’ll have the winning numbers (the maximum number of tickets you can buy will vary from game to game).
- Keep an eye out for promotions – we run regular bonuses and rewards on our games. Watch out for them to claim these other ways to win.
Play 80-ball Bingo with Mecca Bingo
Now you know how to play, head over to the lobby and play thrilling online bingo for real money. Create an account with us, if you haven’t already got one, deposit some money, and you’re ready to play.
Play online 80-ball bingo with friends, play in the comfort of your home or on the go on your phone. Get in on the bingo action and play 80-ball bingo today with Mecca Bingo.