60 Recipes for 60 Years : Chat Host Hope’s Mongolian Beef
Welcome to a brand new week, starring a fabulous recipe that our Chat Host Hope has kindly shared with us! This time round, we’ll be learning how to make some delicious Mongolian Beef.
Hope describes her special dish as “Sticky, spicy and a little bit sweet. What’s not to like? Adding bicarbonate of soda may seem a bit odd, but it really tenderises the steak and is common practice in many Asian countries”.
We can’t wait to try it for ourselves!
Chat Host Hope’s Mongolian BeefCourse: MainCuisine: AsianDifficulty: Medium
500g beef tenderloin (strips)
½ tsp white vinegar
1 tsp salt
½ tsp white pepper
1 tsp sugar (brown)
1 tbs soy sauce (for marinade)
¼ tsp baking soda
1 tbs corn starch
¼ cup water
1 tsp sesame oil (marinade)
pinch of white pepper
- For Frying The Meat
2 tbs oil (vegetable oil)
6-8 spring onions
1 sliced white onion
2 garlic cloves
6-8 dried chili pepper (I prefer mine deseeded)
1 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs sugar
- Slice beef tenderloin into thin slices and place in a bowl. For the beef marinade, add salt, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, baking soda, corn starch, water, olive oil, and the white pepper.
- Marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes. After marinating stir the beef.
- Prep your onions, garlic, dried red peppers before cooking the beef. Cut green onions in 5cm pieces. Slice the white onion, and garlic. Set aside and prepare the stir fry!
- Heat up your pan high heat. Once the pan is hot, add 2 tbs oil. Next fry your beef on high heat until it has a brown sear. After beef has a sear, set aside.
- In the pan, still on high heat, there should be some leftover oil from the beef. Add the dried red pepper and garlic. Keep stirring to make sure garlic does not burn. We’re looking for a roasted chili pepper and slight golden on the garlic. It takes about a minute.
- Add sliced white onions in the pan when the dried red pepper has turned a darker red color. Stir fry onions until translucent.
- Add beef back in with the dried red peppers, white onions, garlic. Add spring onions, 1 tbs soy sauce, 1 tbs sugar and fry for one minute.
Sounds pretty unbeatable from where we’re standing.
If you’d like to try this for yourself at home, please don’t hesitate to jump on our social media and tell us how it went. See you next week for a brand new yummy recipe!